Good things come to those who don’t cut corners. This applies to employers looking to save money and time in their employee screening practices. In the age of Google, when the answers to life’s limitless questions are only a few keystrokes away, it’s become even more tempting than before to opt for speed over accuracy. But a thorough investigation of any topic, such as the eligibility of potential hires, does take time to be done properly.
When it comes to protecting your organization from internal and external liability, doing the bare minimum should not be an option. Running a comprehensive background check on your potential hires is essential to ensuring the longevity of your business. The potential savings and security for your company are worth the added effort of performing comprehensive background checks.
Let’s discuss in greater detail what constitutes a comprehensive background check.
What Does a Comprehensive Background Check Include?
In order to qualify as “comprehensive,” a background check must leave no stone unturned. Comprehensive background checks take time, persistence, and innovation, and they include these four crucial component verifications:
- Employment verification and history: This includes dates of employment, position, and salary claims. Reasons for leaving are established or confirmed and recommendations are acquired where applicable. This type of verification typically takes between one and three days.
- Supervisor reference: Past or current supervisors are interviewed to obtain information on attendance, performance, and your previously specified criteria. Completion time is one to three days.
- Education verification and credentials: Statistically, education credentials are among the most falsified; a third of all applicants will lie about their education. Fortunately, there’s a process for verifying these claims, too. Verifiers must contact the indicated registrar’s office and confirm dates of attendance, disciplines studied, and degrees obtained. This too takes between one and three days.
- Professional licensing: Governing bodies are contacted and the issuance of applicable state or federal licenses are confirmed. Again, this takes one to three days.
Time Required for a Comprehensive Background Check
It’s important to note that these four verifications are conducted simultaneously so that, altogether, a comprehensive background check containing all four critical pieces mentioned above should take between one and three days to complete. This type of turnaround allows you to make hiring decisions as efficiently as possible.
It does not long to look up a candidate’s driving record, for example, but the searches that require a longer investment of time to investigate include:
- Professional and personal references
- Education history
- Criminal records
- Sex-offender registries
- Licensing and certification claims, etc.
Invest in a Comprehensive Background Check Today
As we all know, time is money and as such, you need answers fast. Despite the time commitment of a comprehensive background search, we execute quick turnaround times so you can make hiring decisions sooner. You’ll be equipped to make the best decision as efficiently and ethically as possible, maintaining complete compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Gain complete confidence in your hiring decisions. Contact VICTIG to invest in a comprehensive background check today.